The officiating crews for the Wild Card games on Jan. 8 and 9 have been announced by the NFL. Kickoff times are Eastern. (See our previous post on the process of qualification.)
Saints at Seahawks (Saturday, 4:30 p.m.)
- R — #65 Walt Coleman (22nd year, 16th year as referee)
- U — #121 Paul King (2nd year)
- HL — #98 Greg Bradley (2nd year)
- LJ — #84 Mark Steinkerchner (17th year)
- FJ — #43 Terry Brown (5th year)
- SJ — #72 Michael Banks (9th year)
- BJ — #12 Greg Steed (8th year)
- Alternates — #56 Allen Baynes (SJ), #2 Billy Smith (BJ)
Coleman will head Terry McAulay’s crew, likely because McAulay is scheduled to officiate a conference championship game. (This will not be confirmed by the league for another two weeks.)
McAulay’s crew officated the NFL Kickoff game when the Saints played the Vikings. Coleman was the referee for a Saints game in Week 7 and was in Seattle for a Seahawks game three weeks ago.
Steed officiated in last year’s Super Bowl. King and Bradley are officiating in their first year of postseason eligibility.
Jets at Colts (Saturday, 8 p.m.)
- R — #114 Gene Steratore (8th year, 5th year as referee)
- U — #40 Butch Hannah (12th year)
- HL — #91 Jerry Bergman (9th year)
- LJ — #107 Ron Marinucci (14th year)
- FJ — #88 Scott Steenson (20th year)
- SJ — #116 Mike Weatherford (9th year)
- BJ — #133 Steve Freeman (10th year)
- Alternates — #102 Bruice Stritesky (U), #109 Dyrol Prioleau (FJ)
Steratore’s crew officiated a Colts game in Week 11. Steratore was also referee for a wild card game in 2009.
Steenson and Freeman were on Jeff Triplette’s crew during the regular season and replace Bob Waggoner at field judge and Dino Paganelli at back judge.
Zebra Blog coverage: Steelers get second chance after replay erases TD, but turnover never happened | Ravens coach fined $15K for ref bump | Lions victimized by ‘process of catch’ rule, but they wasn’t robbed
Ravens at Chiefs (Sunday, 1 p.m.)
- R — #94 Mike Carey (21st year, 16th year as referee)
- U — #49 Rich Hall (7th year)
- HL — #8 Dana McKenzie (3rd year)
- LJ — #47 Tim Podraza (3rd year)
- FJ — #82 Buddy Horton (12th year)
- SJ — #15 Rick Patterson (15th year)
- BJ — #6 Kirk Dornan (17th year)
- Alternates — #115 Tony Michalek (U), #30 Todd Prukop (BJ)
Carey’s crew officiated a Week 10 game with the Chiefs.
Patterson officiated on Walt Coleman’s crew during the regular season, replacing side judge Laird Hayes.
Packers at Eagles (Sunday, 4:30 p.m.)
- R — #135 Pete Morelli (14th year, 8th year as referee)
- U — #71 Ruben Fowler (5th year)
- HL — #36 Tony Veteri (19th year)
- LJ — #35 John Hussey (9th year)
- FJ — #89 Jon Lucivansky (2nd year)
- SJ — #39 Don Carlsen (22nd year)
- BJ — #75 Rob Vernatchi (7th year)
- Alternates —#45 Jeff Seeman (LJ), #119 Greg Wilson (BJ)
Morelli’s crew officiated a Week 12 game with the Packers. In 2009, Morelli was the referee for the NFC Conference Championship game and Vernatchi — who switched to back judge this year — officiated Super Bowl XLIV as a field judge. (Seeman, an alternate, also served as line judge in Super Bowl XLIV.)
Veteri was on Clete Blakeman’s crew during the regular season, replacing head linesman George Hayward.
Lucivansky is officiating in his first year of postseason eligibility.