Gene Steratore has the Sunday night game.
by Mark Schultz • • 4 Comments
View image | gettyimages.com According to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, NFL umpire Bill Schuster will leave the field in November to undergo treatment for esophageal cancer. The Super Bowl XLIX umpire noticed he had severe hiccups in the offseason. He went to the doctor and further testing revealed the cancer. Schuster asked if he…
by Mark Schultz • • 0 Comments
Football Zebras exclusive The NFL will audition three officials at the referee position this week. Three current NFL officials will don the white hat for at least one preseason game where the NFL will scout them as potential future referees. Last year, the NFL auditioned three potential officials and John Hussey was promoted to referee…
by Ben Austro • • 5 Comments
by Football Zebras staff • • 11 Comments
by Ben Austro • • 1 Comment
View image | gettyimages.com Frank Gifford, the Hall of Fame running back for the New York Giants in the 1950s and ’60s and longtime broadcaster on Monday Night Football, died at the age of 84, just a week shy of his birthday. Among Gifford’s numerous accomplishments, he started for the Giants in the 1957 NFL…
by Football Zebras staff • • 0 Comments
The NFL has posted the video shown to the players at training camps explaining the rules changes and points of emphasis for 2015. You can download the 8½-minute video here.
A quick summary of the rule changes:
- Point-after touchdown conversions will snap from the 15 for a kick and the 2 for a run or pass
- The defense may recover and score on a point-after-touchdown attempt.
- Clock errors at the expiration of the half greater than 1 second are reviewable with limitations
- Pushing into the line on a punt is illegal just as on a field goal or extra-point kick
- A receiver is in a defenseless posture from hits to the head/neck immediately following an interception
- Chop block exceptions for H-backs and tight ends removed
- Linebackers can be numbered 40-49
- Players reporting ineligible must be in tight formation where a lineman ordinarily would be
- Independent certified athletic trainers (ATC) may call for an injury timeout if a player exhibits concussion symptoms
- Retractable roofs may be opened at halftime if certain weather conditions are met (2015 season only)
by Football Zebras staff • • 1 Comment
View image | gettyimages.com The fiftieth season of the Super Bowl era and the ninety-sixth in league history begins Sunday from the place where the seed was first planted — Canton, Ohio. Culminating the enshrinement festivities of the 2015 class of the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday will be the Hall of Fame…