Mike Carey and his crew filled up the Quick Calls early on Sunday, but correctly ruled on a fourth-down touchdown attempt late in the game. [Image: Drew Hallowell/Philadelphia Eagles]
- Quick calls [Football Zebras]
- A fascinating look into the Officiating Command Center at league headquarters in Manhattan: “Five of the games start one minute later than the 1:02 p.m. script, a minor lapse catalogued for future compliance.” [Brian Murphy, StP Pioneer Press]
- “Those calls are tough to make in real time. And to me, that’s when replay shows how good officials can be. You know that replay exposes mistakes, but sometimes it exposes really quality officiating.” [Mike Pereira, Fox Sports]
- Video: from his Chicken Room, Pereira discusses the rule when a runner’s helmet comes off during the play. [Fox]
- Packers linebacker Clay Matthews played with a foam-rubber-enrobed cast looking like a bulbous club. [Deadspin] The only requirement is that Matthews’ cast be covered by at least 3â„8-inch foam rubber, and the coaching staff must report this to the umpire in advance of the game.
- Eagles defensive lineman Vinnie Curry was happy that he didn’t get flagged on a sack — so he hugged umpire Chad Brown [Chris Chase, USAT/FTW]
- Nothing really officiating-related, but here is the Bengals’ Flail Mary that sent the game into overtime. [NFL video]
- “Buffalo scored a touchdown with :03 remaining on a play where their tight end started a full second before the snap (and then caught the scoring pass, to boot). Steelers players stood by incredulously as the Bills lined up for the PAT with no flags in sight. … Hopefully, referee Scott Green’s crew will be downgraded over the farce.” Wow! I wouldn’t have expected that under the heading of “Zebra Hunting.” [Ray Eckenrode, Altoona Mirror]
- Lions defensive end Willie Young wants the roughing the passer rule to be re-evaluated by the NFL. “It wasn’t with the ‘Riddell’ [hairline portion of helmet]. It was the shoulder pad, and in the position he was in, with the release of the ball from his right hand, the way I was coming, I was coming with the intent to swipe the ball. … Ref called what he saw, at the end of the day” [Kyle Meinke, Grand Rapids Press]
Oof. #Rams CB Trumaine Johnson does the throat slash after breaking up a pass. He’ll be giving to NFL charities this week
â€” Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) November 10, 2013
No flag from Terry McAulay’s crew on the illegal gesture.
Today I will comment on plays & respond to any legitimate rules-related questions.
— Mike Pereira (@MikePereira) November 10, 2013
Translation: Tito’s vodka is not a Fox Sports sponsor.
â€” Jason Wilde (@jasonjwilde) November 10, 2013