Super Bowl XLIV: Saints vs. Colts
Scott Green will serve as the crew chief in Sunday’s Super Bowl. It is his third Super Bowl, having officiated in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII as a back judge. After his last Super Bowl assignment in 2004, he was promoted to the head referee position.
The Super Bowl is officiated by an “all-star” crew, based upon detailed examination of every call (and non-call) made and written tests. However, if the highest rated official at any position has (1) served in last year’s Super Bowl, (2) has not officiated a Conference Championship game, or (3) has less than five years of NFL seniority, then the next highest rated official is appointed.
This year’s crew includes the following (and the head of the crew each worked with during the regular season):
- R 19 â€” Scott Green
- U 96 â€” Undrey Wash (Carl Cheffers)
- HL 5 â€” John McGrath (Tony Corrente)
- LJ 45 â€” Jeff Seeman (Gene Steratore)
- FJ 75 â€” Rob Vernatchi (Pete Morelli)
- SJ 78 â€” Greg Meyer (Don Carey)
- BJ 12 â€” Greg Steed (Terry McAulay)
- Replay Assistant â€” Jim Lapetina (Morelli)
- Video Operator â€” Jim Pearson (Morelli)
While Green has officiated two other Super Bowls, no other on-field official has prior Super Bowl experience. Also of note, Seeman is the son of former referee and director of officiating Jerry Seeman, who was the crew chief in Super Bowls XXIII and XXV (1998 and 1990 seasons).