Follow Football Zebras for a comprehensive rundown of the rules proposals that are under consideration with the owners.
The status of the proposals below will be updated throughout the meetings as information is released.
- 1. Move kickoffs to 40-yd line. FAILED
- 2. Personal fouls reviewable. FAILED
- 3. No overtime in preseason. TABLED.
- 4. Extend goalposts to 35 ft. PASSED
- 5. 37-yard extra-point kicks. FAILED, but passed a trial in Week 1 and 2 of preseason for future consideration
- 6. Add fixed cameras to boundaries. TABLED for more evaluation
- 7. Any official’s decision can be challenged. FAILED
- 8. Roll-up blocks on legs from side illegal. PASSED.
- 9. Allow league office to consult on replay. PASSED.
- 10. Recovery of ball in field of play reviewable. PASSED
- 11. Allow clock to run after QB sack. PASSED
- 12. Eliminate the 1-yd “pick”/”bump” zone. TABLED
- 13. Simplify complex penalty enforcement spots. PASSED
- 1. Allow 3 additional active roster players for Thursday/Saturday games. TABLED
- 2. Increase practice squad from 8 to 10. TABLED
- 3. Allow player trades prior to start of league year. TABLED
- 4. Have only one roster cutdown in preseason. FAILED
- 5. Allow more than 1 player to be able to return from injured reserve. FAILED
- 6. Allow open testing and timing for draft prospects at team sites. FAILED
- 7. Move final roster cutdown from 6 p.m. to 4 p.m. EDT. PASSED
- 1. Allow closed retractable roof to open at halftime. TABLED for future consideration.
- Expand playoffs to 7th seed (not a Competition Committee proposal)
- Allow teams to charge credit card purchases of playoff tickets only after team has clinched a home game. PASSED.