Follow Football Zebras for a comprehensive rundown of the rules proposals that are under consideration with the owners.
The status of the proposals below will be updated throughout the meetings as information is released.
The Patriots' proposal to extend the uprights by 5 feet seems likely to be approved tomorrow according to an NFL source.
— Judy Battista (@judybattista) March 25, 2014
Several updates from Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports in his Twitter timeline.
NFL cuts during training camp will move up from 6pm to 4pm from now on.
— Omar Kelly (@OmarKelly) March 26, 2014
The league tabled all the proposals dealing with roster size
— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) March 26, 2014
- 1. Move kickoffs to 40-yd line. FAILED
- 2. Personal fouls reviewable. FAILED
- 3. No overtime in preseason. TABLED.
- 4. Extend goalposts to 35 ft. PASSED
- 5. 37-yard extra-point kicks. FAILED, but passed a trial in Week 1 and 2 of preseason for future consideration
- 6. Add fixed cameras to boundaries. TABLED for more evaluation
- 7. Any official’s decision can be challenged. FAILED
- 8. Roll-up blocks on legs from side illegal. PASSED.
- 9. Allow league office to consult on replay. PASSED.
- 10. Recovery of ball in field of play reviewable. PASSED
- 11. Allow clock to run after QB sack. PASSED
- 12. Eliminate the 1-yd “pick”/”bump” zone. TABLED
- 13. Simplify complex penalty enforcement spots. PASSED
- 1. Allow 3 additional active roster players for Thursday/Saturday games. TABLED
- 2. Increase practice squad from 8 to 10. TABLED
- 3. Allow player trades prior to start of league year. TABLED
- 4. Have only one roster cutdown in preseason. FAILED
- 5. Allow more than 1 player to be able to return from injured reserve. FAILED
- 6. Allow open testing and timing for draft prospects at team sites. FAILED
- 7. Move final roster cutdown from 6 p.m. to 4 p.m. EDT. PASSED
- 1. Allow closed retractable roof to open at halftime. TABLED for future consideration.
- Expand playoffs to 7th seed (not a Competition Committee proposal)
- Allow teams to charge credit card purchases of playoff tickets only after team has clinched a home game. PASSED.